Wednesday, January 30, 2008

BBC Blog: "The Bishop Behind Barbed Wire"

By Mark Mardell January 29, 2008

Gracanica monastery

This is the first time I have been to a church service held behind barbed wire.

Inside the chapel next to the Gracanica Monastery in Kosovo, a priest in white robes adorned with red crosses swings a silver censer, and the tinkling of bells and and the sweet, musty smell of incense fills the air.

His companion is preparing the host, behind a wooden screen painted with glorious icons.

Most of the congregation are nuns, clad head to foot in black. There are six other worshippers.

The youngest of them, a girl perhaps in her late teens, yawns and covers her mouth. The service started at seven and it is now nine and the ethereal rhythmic chanting is somewhat soporific.

Swedish sentry

Outside, a Swedish soldier stands in his sentry-post built into the side of the monastery, cradling an automatic rifle..... BBC Blog

1 comment:

Felix Culpa said...

I have posted a number of pieces on Kosovo at my blog, including my translation of several articles by, and interviews with, Bishop Atanasije (Jevtic).

I have also added a link to your blog to my listed of recommended web sites.

My web log is here: http://ishmaelite.blogspot.com/