Sunday, November 30, 2008

Zali Zare da zalimo

An old Serbian love song from the late 19th century from a town in Serbia called "Vranje", beautifully performed by the group Kulin Ban.



The song is about a young man, leaving his family and his beloved (Zare) to go off to become a freedom fighter (kumit) and battle the Ottoman Turks and their Albanian allies (the Arnauts). He knows that he will not likely return alive.

Translation (Courtesy of Mirjana Petrovic):

Be sad, Zare, we should both be sad for we are going to part
You will part from me and I from you, I will go far away.
I will go far away, far away to white Vranje
I will join kumits, I will be a young kumit.

Then I will take a royal sabre and all the royal weapons
and I will go all the way to Pcinja, all the way to Pcinja Presev-Kaza
I will cross the water of Vardar river, the huge Vardar river
I will fight those Turks, those Turk Arnauts.

Be sad, cry, we should both be sad when the Sun rises,
when the Sun rises, bethink it is from God,
you should know then that this is my, this is my white face
you should know then that this is my, this is my bright face.

When the wind starts blowing bethink it is from God,
then you say that this is my, this is my gentle soul.
When the dew is forming you bethink it is from God,
then you say that these are my, these are my small tears.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Thank you for posting this beautiful song. I became interested in the cause of Serbia through Dr Srdja Trifkovic's posts at Chronicles. I will follow your blog closely. I would link you to my blog but my blog was hijacked by people and it isn't active anymore.